Friday 10 April 2015

Scotland adventures

About a month ago I was contacted by make up artist, Josephine Birkett. I have worked with Josephine on numerous photo shoots and events. Her talent, skill and knowledge is impeccable and I love working with her lovely self! When she contacted I was happy to know that she was asking me to accompany her to a day in Glasgow. Jo works for global cosmetic company Mac. They go through extensive training and they have to take certs. There is different levels and Josephine asked me to be her model for her Advanced Certs.
 
 
 
 
In this level the make up artists have to compete a series of techniques. They are literally given a look on the day in which they have to complete to their best ability to look like the visual they are supplied with dl have certain time frames to complete each one.

We were up super early and headed to the train station. Mac decide who is they think is ready so there I always a few girls from each store travelling together. We got he train from Newcastle to Edinburgh, then a connection from Edinburgh to Glasgow. I absolutely adore Scotland so I was excited and thoroughly enjoyed travelling with the girls and seeing beautiful views from the train window! Spending summers driving through Scotland with family when I was young has most certainly stuck with me....
 
Anyway, we got to Glasgow and I was starry eyed being in this stunning city. We walked down the main street and entered Frasers where the Mac seems so much more like essential centre piece of the store rather than just a concession. We made it to the room where the certs were being held and all the artists set up their kit. Legendary Cher Webb was supposed to attend - for anyone who doesn't know, Cher does a lot of London shows and works on the make up looks for a lot of runways. No pressure then! She was poorly so another assessor had to judge on her own whilst photographing everyone's looks in which her and Cher could make a fair unanimous decision between themselves over the weekend.
 



The atmosphere was kind o relaxed but obviously all of the artists were tense and a little nervous. The looks included brows, skin, lashes, highlight and contour, lips and eyeliner.
 
 
 
 
 The skin look was a flawless matte effect with a no make up effect. The highlight and contour look was also very natural.

 
 
The brow was a very specific shape, quite a high rounded arch with a long tail.
 
 
 
 
The next look was the eyeliner. The visual was quite difficult to see from but it was quite dramatic with very straight flicks at each side. It was almost a straight line from the inner, under the eye to the outer flick. But obviously this will vary depending on the shape of the models eyes.
 
 
 
 
 
We then took a break for lunch. I totally rocked this eyeliner around the streets of Glasgow while we got a bite to eat! The next look after lunch was lashes. The look was a very 60's inspired look with sections missing so some were longer than others. Very Twiggy I thought!
 
 
 
 
The lip was next...  It was a super straight lip with a shallow cupid bow and very full on the bottom. For these looks they mark based on colour match, colour, texture and shape. The visual was a very vibrant red...
 
 
 
 
There was another technique they had to complete after tis which was tattoo coverage. Since I have no tattoos I sat this one out but was good to watch them all at work...
 
 
 
 
All finished!
Every time Josephine does my make up it literally lasts for hours after! Here's some snaps of it once I as hoe. My lips are literally perfect and I was so in love that it took my ages to get the courage to remove it all! *sadface*
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I actually love these lashes applied in this style. I think they are 2's by Mac and applied in sections. Jo cut the full strip in to smaller pieces and applied, I kind of look like a doll but I'm totally cool with that. I think I could even wear this on a night out. Madly in love with this look!





Wearing my Miss Taylors Belted Coat. Read the full blog about Miss Taylors HERE.


Don't forget to check out Josephine's Facebook Page, website and other social media! I cannot recommend her any more that I already do. She takes bookings for photo shoots, weddings/trials, events, birthday/weekend looks, face painting (she is CRB checked.) Take a peak at her work!



 
 
 
  
 

3 comments:

  1. How exciting! I love how theatrical the lashes are but they aren't insanely over the top! Loving the red lips too! How perfect! It's fab to hear how much training goes on behind the scenes for somebody to work for Mac too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're training is amazing & Josephine works a lot on creative photo shots too which keeps her creative. Is brilliant ta the company provide opportunities like this for their staff too.

      Delete
    2. Ps yes Samantha, the lashes are lovely! I wore them on the train home, felt like a ginger Twiggy!

      Delete