Sunday 5 April 2015

Cooking Up A Storm

So Easter weekend is almost over... To be honest we don't have any real Easter traditions in our family or things we usually do. I have been feeling a little under the weather/exhausted and been trying to catch up on a lot of work so when my mam asked me to help her with baking I was a little hesitant.
My mam used to bake a lot when I was younger (and she still does from time to time) of which I have lots of lovely fond memories of. And I think you'll all agree there is nothing like your Mamma's cooking! I thoroughly enjoyed our time in the kitchen. We laughed and got messy and baked some lovely foody bits.
 
They say the women in our family are brilliant pastry makers because of our bad circulation. Cold hands makes for great pastry apparently! So we started with pastry... this was to make a mince pie with. I got to roll the edge with a pretty pattern (which I love doing) and then my mam snipped the air holes in to ensure it could breathe.
 
 
 
 
 
The next thing we made was quiche. I guess you could say this is one of my mam's specialities. It is a cheese an onion quiche and one of my favourite things she bakes! In our house, the only quiche is a big quiche as you can see. (Only a few pieces left on this photo though.)
 
 
 
 
We had some spare pastry left which we always try to use. We usually make jam tarts but fancied something different this time. I suggested some bacon and cheese twists. We googled a few recipes but decided to just freestyle. This was our 1st time making these and I have to say everyone loved them! We rolled the pastry out, then cut the bacon into strips and laid them out equally on the pastry. Then sprinkled the grated cheese on top and folded the pastry over on itself & cut in to strips. We then lined a baking tray and twisted them on the tray and cooked until golden brown. Yummy!  
 
 
 
 
The last thing we made was chocolate shortcake. Mmmmm. I haven't made this in forever and my mam had a craving for it so we just had to.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
I am sorry to say that the bacon an cheese twists got snapped up to quick before I got a chance to get any photos! I hope I have inspired someone to bake something instead of buying from a big store. And plus it can be a bundle of fun! I'd love to hear in the comments what your favourite thing is to bake...

3 comments:

  1. Wow those chocolate shortbreads look delicious. Well so does all of it for that matter but they are def one of my favourite things! We've been making more choc Easter nests this week! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The shortbread was so yummy! Aww I love making (and eating those.) To be honest I much prefer chocolate nests or choc crispy cakes over an easter egg any day! x

      Delete
  2. Oh my god, i´m hungry when I see this!!! Perfect ♡

    greetings from germany, melina from ww.melinaalt.de

    ReplyDelete