Tuesday 10 February 2015

February Adventures | The Boiler Shop Steamer

The Boiler Shop Steamer seemed like an illusive event that I would hear in passing conversation but never had the pleasure of attending myself. So when blogger, friend Zotonixe asked me if I wanted to go with her to the November night, I was excited! I did miss the December one (which I am gutted about because I was told it was extra busy and more going on with it being like a Christmas special.) I also missed the January one because I have the memory of a sieve but HAD to remember the February one because I was disappointed when I realised I had missed 2!

 
So for anyone who hasn't heard of The Boiler Shop Steamer..... Let me enlighten you. It is basically a chilled night out hosted in an unused warehouse (was the old Royal Mail sorting office for those of you who know Newcastle at all.) So located at a prime spot, behind Central Station, it is the perfect space to house such an event. It is a monthly thing which involves local food and drinks businesses with different cool, interesting bands & singers. The vibe of The Boiler Shop is very relaxed, and hosted the 1st weekend of each month.



 
It is a super popular event of a varied audience (both young and old and different styles) so if the place hits capacity you will have to queue. It usually runs from lunch time that day 12pm and is free entry until 4:30pm(I believe). Any time after that it is £5 entry. You may think this a little steep but for the atmosphere alone I think it is worth it.

 So once you've queued and paid, you will notice the basist who often jams on Northumberland Street. Personally, I think he is the coolest guy ever. Guy got soul about him! Then when you step in you will see the lighting wall which is really cool for photos. then you are engulfed into a buzzing but chilled crowd. The first place we head or is the Wylam Brewery Bar which is in the far right corner (near the stage.)


 
 
Around the edges of the warehouse are food and drinks stalls of all varieties. It reminds me of a street food market. There I a variety of different stalls which range from cakes, crepes, burgers, curry, sushi and so on. They always seem to have a few regular ones and hen the rest do vary, which is nice because you get to try new foods from new companies! Some of the companies include VWLulabelle, Kitsch'n Crepe Co, Scream For Pizza, Manjit's Kitchen & many more!
 


VWLulabelle  and their beautiful cakes!
 
 
Patty Smith's Burgers

 
You will find the Ouseburn Coffee Company very close to the front entrance (behind the lighting wall.) I have not tried their drinks so far but I lays see people wandering around carrying coffee cocktails which smell delicious! So next time I must try one!  
 
 
Ouseburn Coffee Co
 
 
 
 
So as a heads up you need tokens to buy most of the food & drinks. You can buy these on entry or once you're in.
 
As I said I went with fellow blogger- Zotonixe. If you're not following her go check out her blog!  We decided on some chips from the Hip Hop Chip Shop! Just my kinda food, and how can it not taste good when they're hip hop?! They were really tasty and not like greasy normal chip shop chips! I doused mine in vinegar and ketchup. Vinegar & chips reminds me of my childhood and eating chips at the coast! Had a little nostalgic moment... 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So aswell as the tasty food & drinks, the live music is so much fun! This month they had The Baghdaddies paying which are a really cool sounding bnd. They have a sort of Saudi Arabian, crossed with a Ukranian sound. I may be totally off oint there but that's what I think they sound like. It was so much fun dancing to these guys! It's hard to describe but check out heir have a listen here!
 
 
 
 

 
I do apologize that the photos aren't he best quality guys! It gets rather crowded after about 5pm (and plus its difficult to take photos with  pint & a plate of chips too haha.) In between the bands they also do have an in house DJ that drops cool beats too. I'm a huge music fan so I loveeeee it!
 
This venue is also child friendly but obviously alcohol is being served so for any parents out there, reading this, its your decision. Personally I think I is a fun tin for kids t experience... Especially when the bands come on and the atmosphere changes. There is wooden benches in the middles to sit on but these fill up quick. So I advise maybe anyone attending with children, go during the day or chance it after about 4pm and watch for people leaving their table. They go fast!
 
I literally cannot wait until next month to do this all over again! Remember, if you're going - wrap up warm, take our mobile (people are easily lost, so stick together like glue) and just enjoy the vibe! I'm sure I'll be therein March so if you see me, say hi!  
 
 
 

 
 

16 comments:

  1. I always plan to go to The Boiler Shop Steamer then always forget! It looks like you had a fab time. I need to get myself there! Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was like that. I kept on forgetting so if you have a friend who is going ask if you can join them. That's what I done to make sure I 100% went to see what it was like. I really do enjoy it and its a good/cheaper alternative to a club night out! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the steamer! Hip hop chip shop is amazing! Love their fish n chips. I took our kids last time (lunchtime on a sat) and there was no chance of getting a table - we sat outside though on the wall and listened to the bassist so still had fun. #nebrilliantbloggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the chip, they were so nice and crispy! Yeah, it is difficult for seas but always sign of a good event. Just got to keep your eyes peeled :)

      Delete
  4. There's always so much amazing food to choose from, you can't beat it! Must get myself back there next month!
    Rach
    www.lifeingeordieland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the selection of food and is always great to try new, local companies! x

      Delete
  5. It took me forever to make it to the Steamer too, now it's in my phone calendar so I always remember when it's on :)

    Chloe x
    newgirlintoon.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is addictive isn't it Chloe! I love the vibe and the combination of music, food and people x

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments ladies! And thanks for reading too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks brilliant, I REALLY wanna go. Eating super healthy at the mo but when I allow myself a treat im definitely going to go. My friend went this month and said it was fabulous xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laure, do it! It honestly it a lot of fun! Every time I have such a good time and I think it jut had a really good vibe about it. Yeah or you could eat before hand? Take a few friends and have a laugh x

      Delete
  9. Oh my this sounds fab I might have to try in March but too take the kids or not??? Sounds like a great excuse for a girls day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Karen, its fab for kids in the day but does also sound like a good excuse to catch up with the girls. And the lovely thing is you can still wrap up without feeling underdressed because everyone is wrapped up!

      Delete
  10. Loved reading your thoughts. I find it too busy on an evening to really enjoy the experience. Next month I think we'll try a Saturday afternoon, when it's less packed x
    pipsfoodforthought.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I do sometimes struggle with the crowds too. I think you have to be in the right frame of mind for the crowds. It seems to get busy and die down and get busy again on evenings. Yea, through the day would probably be perfect for you :) x

      Delete